Neurostar TMS Therapy for Depression
NeuroStar uses transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) to target key areas of the brain that are underactive in people with depression. It is not ECT (electroconvulsive therapy).
While the exact cause of depression is not known, the leading scientific theory is that it is caused by an imbalance of the brain’s neurotransmitters, which are chemical messengers that send signals between brain cells.
What is NeuroStar Advanced Therapy (TMS)?
During a NeuroStar treatment session, a magnet similar in strength to that used in a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machine is used to stimulate nerve cells in the area of the brain thought to control mood. These magnetic pulses may have a positive effect on the brain’s neurotransmitter levels,
making long-term remission possible.
Treatment with NeuroStar Advanced Therapy is easy:
• Therapy sessions are conducted at Compass Family Medicine
• You can return to normal activities right away
• You are awake during treatment
• There are no negative effects on memory or sleep
• It’s covered by most health insurance plans, including Medicare and Tricare